Hypertext links in Acrobat 8 documents generated from FrameMaker 8

Austin Meredith Ashley_Meredith at brown.edu
Thu Dec 20 14:41:57 PST 2007

>Could this be your problem, taken from the Microtype FM8 bug list
>(http://www.microtype.com/FM_bugs.html):
>Cross-file links in PDFs authored in FrameMaker 8.0 use
>Unicode-encoded file paths and file names, which are only supported
>in Windows Acrobat/Reader 8.x or MacOS Acrobat/Reader 7.x or later.
>As a result, cross-file links are not functional when the PDF is
>displayed in earlier Acrobat/Reader versions, even though the target
>files are present.
>When clicking the cross-file links, the following message is
>displayed: "There was an error opening this document. The path does
>not exist". Some PDFs with cross-file links trigger the following
>message upon opening in Acrobat/Reader versions earlier than 8:
>"This file appears to use a new format... Adobe recommends that you
>upgrade to the latest version of our Acrobat products...".

Actually, Kanti, we are using FM8.0p266 and Acrobat Pro 8.1.1 and
Adobe Reader 8.1.1, the very latest stuff, and *still* the links
don't work. However, Shlomo Perets of MicroType says he has known
about this FM problem all along, and is working on a new version of
his software, which he offers will shortly resolve this problem with
Unicode-encoded file paths and file names, at a cost of some $200.
I'll gladly take it out of my own paycheck.

We feel betrayed by Adobe. How could they have offered us an
"upgrade" that is so secretly crippled? For our project, this is like
sabotage. We've got my fingers crossed, that we're going to be able
to recover from this successfully. Even in the best of all possible
scenarios, after Shlomo distributes his new software there is going
to be a hell of a lot of work here, weeks and weeks of work,
re-distilling all these PDF files and uploading them again to the
internet website.