Replacing Framemaker

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Thu Feb 1 11:15:21 PST 2007

Rebecca.L.Frasure at aphis.usda.gov wrote:
  I know nothing
> about OpenOffice.org Writer. Does anyone else?

It's very much like MS Word, in the way it is cumbersome and unintuitive
and at least a little bit unstable.

I have used it to edit a document created by someone else. The first
thing that went wrong was... the Numbering! Mucking about with some
numbered paragraphs crashed the program and lost my work. I have also
been trying to apply a figure numbering style that includes chapnum, and
find that OOo keeps dropping the hyphen from the style definition. The
dialog boxes are like Word, in that you have to drill down a million
levels to set options. The on-line Help is reference oriented, not task
oriented, so you're left guessing at what features exist by what names
that will do what you want.

In short, it's been every bit as irritating and frustrating as Word, and
I wouldn't use it for anything more than memos and very short reports
(which is what I use Word for).

regards,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"Developers explain How the Product Works.
Technical writers explain How to Work the Product."

Get Firefox!
http://tinyurl.com/8q9c5