Asking a favor

Andrew Warren awarren at synaptics.com
Fri Feb 2 11:20:08 PST 2007

Christine Beck wrote:

> I find myself wishing that when a person uses an acronym he/she would
> also write what it stands for in parentheses at least once in the
email.
> I do not know what CMS or other often used acronyms stand for.

Christine:

You may find Acronym Finder (http://www.acronymfinder.com) useful.

Searching AF for "CMS"... "Content Management System" is the
fourth-ranked meaning, below three others that are clearly not relevant
to techwriting.  Clicking on the dictionary/encyclopedia icon next to
the definition produces a page of information; here's an excerpt:

    A content management system is a computer software system for
    organising and facilitating collaborative creation of documents
    and other content. A content management system is often a web
    application used for creating and managing websites and web
    content. Alternatively, content management systems (CMS) can
    also be used for storing and publishing documentation such as
    operators' manuals, technical manuals, sales guides, etc.
    A web content management system is essentially a way of
    separating your visual presentation from your actual content -
    whether that content includes photos, text or product catalogs.
    This separation allows one to accomplish several key things,
    including: ....

-Andrew

=== Andrew Warren  - awarren at synaptics.com
=== Synaptics, Inc - Santa Clara, CA