manage multilingual documentation with frequent updates

Maxwell Hoffmann mhoffmann at translate.com
Mon Feb 5 08:48:56 PST 2007

Jan,

We are a translation vendor, and the majority of technical documentation
our clients submit to us is in FrameMaker, (over half of it is still
unstructured.) We have found that when clients who do large scale
(hundreds of pages) technical documentation in Word and then migrate to
FrameMaker, they usually incur about 25-30% savings due to reduced DTP
touch up and proofing, and increased performance (e.g. opening up
documents with 75 screen captures.)

Once your translation memory is aligned to the current documents'
paragraph locations, you will be able to use common tools to determine
how much of the content does not have an exact or "fuzzy" match. You are
no doubt using TRADOS or some other popular linguistic tool; if so, your
client will not end up paying for text that is already translated.

Many of our customers do not use a full-scale content management system,
usually due to the high cost of initial investments. They have not had
to develop any special tools to mark the areas of content that have
changed.

ENLASO has given several Webinars in the past that touch what customers
can do when editing/updating FrameMaker documents to avoid causing
problems with translation. You can visit the following portion of our
website to see the list of Webinars and request access to a recording:

http://www.translate.com/ltc/educational_resources.html

I hope this is helpful for you.

Maxwell Hoffmann
Manager of Consulting & Training Solutions
ENLASO Corporation
T: 805 494 9571 * F: 805 435 1920
E: mhoffmann at translate.com <mailto:mhoffmann at translate.com>
ENLASO Corporation provides quality enterprise language solutions and
exceeds client expectations through continuing research, development,
and implementation of effective localization processes and technologies.

Visit: www.translate.com <http://www.translate.com>  for more
information or to subscribe to our complimentary localization
newsletter.