Archive Plug-In

Thu Feb 8 09:16:33 PST 2007

Judie Vegh wrote:

> The Archive Plug-In leaves behind a log file that states any
> errors that might have occurred during the archiving process.
>

> I received the following error: WARNING: OLE2 object found.
> Archive cannot copy or fix reference.
>

> Has anyone received this or knows how to fix it?

OLE2 is Microsoft's 2nd-generation Object Linking and Embedding feature.
The message means that one of your files contains an imported object.
That is, instead of using File > Import > File to insert something,
someone used File > Import > Object. People often do this with Visio
drawings because FM can't import a Visio file.

OLE2 is pretty stable -- much more so than OLE was -- but it adds a lot
of overhead for the minor convenience of in-place editing. Archive can't
deal with an OLE link, I suppose, because it's not really a link to a
file that can be relocated, it's a link to the application responsible
for the object -- Visio, Excel, or whatever.

To fix this, located the imported object and replace it with an imported
file. If it's a Visio object, I recommend creating a PDF of it in Visio
and importing the PDF into FM (by reference, of course).

HTH!
Richard

------
Richard G. Combs