Need help building a para Warning tag

Diane Gaskill dgcaller at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 11 11:16:24 PST 2007

Drew,

There is a similar way to use a table for Notes, Cautions, and Warnings that
uses a 2-celled table. This is probably what Joe Malin referred to in his
message.  BTW, the credit for this method goes to Brad Anderson.  I stole -
I mean "researched" it from a template he gave me way back in 2000.

1.  On the reference page, draw a reference frame about 6 inches wide and
one inch high. Name the frame Warning.

2.  In that frame, construct a 2-celled table with the left cell about 3/4
inch wide and the right cell the remaining width of the table.  Display only
the top and bottom borders of the table.  In the Table Designer dialog box,
name the table waWarning and set it to RIGHT aligned, with 5 or 6 pts above
and below.  Be sure to include the prefix wa in the name as shown here.  If
you want the table to look like a filled rectangle, display all ourside
borders and set the table shading to whatever color  and fill % you want.

3. Construct a 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch reference frame.  Name it zWarning.  In
that frame, place the standard ANSI warning symbol and size it to fit the
frame.

4. Click the paragraph tag in the left cell of the table.  Create a new
paragraph tag called zWarning. It does not matter what font you use, but set
all the spacings to 0 and make the font size and leading as small as
possible.  In the advanced tab, set Frame Below to zWarning.

5.  Click the para tag in the right cell of the table.  Create a new para
tag called waWarning and set it to whatever font you normally use for this.
In the numbering tab enable autonumbering and set the value to "Warning!\t"
Set the para's tab value to 0.6 in. In the Table Cell tab, set the Vertical
Alignment to Middle.

6. Save.

To place the table on a body page:
1. Create an empty paragraph mark where you want the table to be and keep
your cursoe on that paragraph.

2. Select Table > Insert and type wa <enter>. Or type Esc-t-i-wa [Enter].
The 2-celled table, with the symbol and the autonum text drops onto the
page.  You can add text after the work Warning as needed.

3.  Now, you will need to manually adjust the length of the right cell of
the table on the REFERENCE page, so that when you place the table on the
body page, that the word Warning is left aligned with the body text.  Here
is an example.

             Body text Body text Body text    Don't anchor the table
here.->P
     |  /  \  Warning!  (User-entered additional text here.)           |

If you want,I can send you an FM file with a set of tables for notes,
caution, warning, and a few others all done and ready to use.  Just import
the reference page.

Hope this helps.

Diane