Reasons to Structure

Max Dunn maxdunn at siliconpublishing.com
Mon Feb 12 06:59:41 PST 2007

Structure gives you the benefit of separating content from presentation.
Sounds trivial, and you may think you've accomplished this without
structure, but that is the primary reason to structure content: so your
XML abstraction is as agnostic as possible to the form of rendition that
you will publish in.

Typically, most unstructured forms of content management blur the
distinction between the XML abstraction and the XML (or other)
rendition.

Structuring content using XML standards also enables interoperability
with the ever-evolving publishing tools at our disposal. We don't really
know what cool publishing application will come up next, but we can bet
it will import and export XML, thus it will be interoperable with
systems based on structured content.

Not that structured content is always the right path... The sorts of
question to ask are:
* How many output formats do you have? (if it is just one, perhaps
unstructured is best!)
* Is translation required? (XML content management can definitely reduce
cost of translation)
* How much content reuse is required/implemented? (the more reuse, the
more benefit structure provides)

I would encourage you to explore the Adobe FrameMaker 7.2 Application
Pack for DITA, in particular its Open Toolkit integration. I think when
you generate different forms of help using the OT, combined with PDF
using the Framemaker rendition engine, you will understand the benefits
of structured content. http://www.adobe.com/go/dita/

Thanks,

Max

--