Reasons to Structure

Charles Beck Charles.Beck at infor.com
Tue Feb 13 20:15:30 PST 2007

Sorry to be so delinquent in responding to this; I have my excuses.

Some of us actually LIKE the left-brain right-brain gear shifting and are quite efficient at it. Mind you, I am a great proponent of structured authoring in theory and a miserable practitioner. Maybe it is because I am blessed with a mind that is peculiarly both analytical and creative in more-or-less equal measure.

Besides-with the caveat that I have not actually experienced *enforced* structured authoring, per sé-if you need to format a word or phrase for emphasis or for special recognition (such as bolding UI elements), don't you still have to tag that content somewhere? So where is the great advantage?

As I understand structured authoring (with my admittedly limited understanding), its strengths seem to lie more in the realm of freeing the author from having to make specific adhoc formatting decisions that may or (more likely) may not be consistent. That, and enforcing certain rules about what content is required, accepted, optional, etc.

Is it not so?

Chuck Beck