OT: Formatting Readmes with Groff/Latex

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 14 02:55:57 PST 2007

At 15:16 -0500 13/2/07, Neil Tubb wrote:

>I've been told I have to produce Readmes for several of our products in
>text files. I want to be able to control some basic look-and-feel
>though, such as column-width, and it was suggested to me to use Groff or
>Latex. I've been looking into this for a bit, but can't really figure it
>out. Before I spend any more time on this, does anyone have a better
>solution?

Avoid LaTeX like the plague. It has a learning curve in excess of FrameMaker's. Follows Art's advice.

TeX/LaTeX is a dinosaur wallowing in the tar-pit of 8-bit systems and smells of musty storerooms where card-punch machines have gone to die. It is horrendously arcane and completely rooted in the past.

Just my opinion, of course ;-)

--
Steve