Reasons to structure

Gordon McLean Gordon.McLean at GrahamTechnology.com
Thu Feb 15 05:27:40 PST 2007

"If you work in the tech industry and don't have time to learn, your fate is
sealed."

I know what you are saying, but you are presuming that learning how to use a
technology is more important than learning whether or not that technology is
cost-effective to me in my current situation.

On top of that, at the moment and to a lot of people, structured FrameMaker
talks the talk but -heavens to betsy- the walk looks like a complicated one.
When the walk is a little easier, I'll start to learn the steps. Just as I
did with HTML, then CSS.

There is a brewing thought in here about Tipping Points but time marches
on..

So, that's what I have learned about structured FrameMaker, but then I tend
to let the early adopters do all the work and then swoop in later on. ;-)

Jeremy, I don't think that is harsh at all. What I think is harsh is the
constant discouragement from learning and professional development from
certain members of this list.  It is so important for any tech writer to
learn about structured content, and I do not think I am any smarter than
anyone else just because I have expertise in structure. The only difference
with me is that I just spent the last five years being interested in it, and
I would like others to be interested in it as well. And that excuse about
"not having time" is really quite worn out. If you work in the tech industry
and don't have time to learn, your fate is sealed.

And by the way, HTML is a perfect example of fully structured content, and
the web is a good example of the miracles that are possible with it. Thanks
for bringing that up.

This email (and any attachments) is private and confidential, and is intended solely for the
addressee. If you have received this communication in error please remove it and inform us via
telephone or email. Although we take all possible steps to ensure mail and attachments
are free from malicious content, malware and viruses, we cannot accept any responsibility
whatsoever for any changes to content outwith our administrative bounds. The views represented
within this mail are solely the view of the author and do not reflect the views of the organisation
as a whole.
Graham Technology plc
Registered in Scotland company no. SC143434
Registered Office India of Inchinnan, Renfrewshire, Scotland PA4 9LH

http://www.grahamtechnology.com