Reasons to structure

russ at weststreetconsulting.com russ at weststreetconsulting.com
Thu Feb 15 09:19:24 PST 2007

If you work for a company that doesn't accept qualified recommendations for improvement from its staff, you should keep a resume up-to-date. No company can last too long if it doesn't embrace innovation from the lower levels.

I think the truth is, actually, that in the majority of cases, tech writers are not qualified to proselytize on structure, because they haven't really learned about it yet. Hence my original point, several postings ago. You have to understand it to present a convincing business case (show them the money, as it were).  In the past several years, I've had relatively little difficulty getting acceptance from management for new tools, methods, etc., because I understand the benefits and can clearly enumerate the reasons for doing it.

I would like all tech writers to be this way, because I don't want us to be second class in the arena of ideas. When it comes to tools and methods involved with our work, we should be the primary influence on what happens. The key is, though, we need to know what we are talking about first. So I say, get in there and learn. I don't believe for a second that there are only a select few of us that can understand simple tools like structured Frame. You just need to have the desire and understanding of how important it is.