Figure Numbering Problem

Michael D. Conner michaelconner at missouristate.edu
Thu Feb 15 07:36:05 PST 2007

This may be being caused by having a mixture of graphic frames and anchored
frames or text frames poorly placed in anchored frames.

I use a similar system for academic books and reports. Graphics are placed
in anchored frames with a text frame within it for the caption. In doing a
limited test, I put a text frame inside of a graphics frame. When I put in
two instances of this setup, the figure numbers did not increment. I think
the text frames and graphics have to be in anchored frames to increment
correctly, this keeps them in the text flow.

Sometimes, however, I've seen problems with figure numbers not incrementing
correctly. It seems to occur because the text frame with the caption is not
quite correctly placed within the anchored frame. I can cure this by cutting
the text frame, selecting the anchored frame, and pasting the text frame
back in.

Mike

===================================
Dr. Michael Conner