Reasons to structure

Gordon McLean Gordon.McLean at GrahamTechnology.com
Thu Feb 15 08:06:45 PST 2007

I'm on the FM-DITA mailing list Art, and was invovled about a year or two
ago when it was just starting out.

I still keep on top of things, but in my last place we switched to AuthorIT
as it meet our needs. My current position already has a structured
FrameMaker setup, so I've missed the chance to 'learn it hands on'.

I'm not against structured FrameMaker, but, and I said this in the early
DITA days as well, it's a bit daunting for some people and would benefit
from a simple way to 'get into it'. I agree that DITA is probably that very
way.

You may want to look over, and play with, the FM DITA plug in. It's a
structured tool, obviously, but seems to be a rationally usable tool rather
than an entire philosophy.

Art

On 2/15/07, Gordon McLean <Gordon.McLean at grahamtechnology.com> wrote:
> "If you work in the tech industry and don't have time to learn, your
> fate is sealed."
>
> I know what you are saying, but you are presuming that learning how to
> use a technology is more important than learning whether or not that
> technology is cost-effective to me in my current situation.
>
> On top of that, at the moment and to a lot of people, structured
> FrameMaker talks the talk but -heavens to betsy- the walk looks like a
complicated one.
> When the walk is a little easier, I'll start to learn the steps. Just
> as I did with HTML, then CSS.
>
> There is a brewing thought in here about Tipping Points but time
> marches on..

This email (and any attachments) is private and confidential, and is intended solely for the
addressee. If you have received this communication in error please remove it and inform us via
telephone or email. Although we take all possible steps to ensure mail and attachments
are free from malicious content, malware and viruses, we cannot accept any responsibility
whatsoever for any changes to content outwith our administrative bounds. The views represented
within this mail are solely the view of the author and do not reflect the views of the organisation
as a whole.
Graham Technology plc
Registered in Scotland company no. SC143434
Registered Office India of Inchinnan, Renfrewshire, Scotland PA4 9LH

http://www.grahamtechnology.com