Query on Tables Numbering and List of Tables

Thu Feb 15 10:48:34 PST 2007

Radha Padmanabhan wrote:

>   I have a big book with 5 Guides which in turn have some 10s
> of chapters as .fm files. I have to build a List ot Tables
> for each guide. My problem is how to serially number the
> tables across a specific set of chapters. That is, I have to
> serially number the tables from 1 to n in Guide 1, and 1 to m
> in Guide 2; and build List of Tables for each guide.
<snip>

>   I am reluctant to use TableTitle with T:Table <n+>: format
> and use 'Continue from Previous File in Book' for Paragraph
> Numbering because I am not sure about the impact on other
> paragraphs and the book has more than 60 files. The number of
> paragraph tags used is also very large that I cannot manually
> check for the nature of autonumbering in each.

Sorry, Radha, but there is no reasonable alternative to using paragraph
numbering. The table numbering can use its own number series (the "T:"
part of the autonumber format you're reluctant to use), but you have to
use the "Continue..." numbering setting for all the chapters in each
guide or the numbering will restart with each chapter.

You say you have too many tags to check, but surely only a few have
autonumbers. And most of those are probably numbered list formats that
are restarted by some mechanism other than the start of a new chapter.
Do these guides have numbered figures or headings? It really shouldn't
be all that difficult to determine if there are autonumbered pgfs that
need to restart with each chapter.

It occurs to me that you seem to be using one FM book file for all five
guides. That's fine -- it makes it easier to do global stuff, like
updating formats, variables, etc., or creating a single PDF. But you
might want to also create an FM book file for each individual guide,
containing only its chapters. Your chapters can live in multiple book
files, and a separate book file for each guide will simplify some
things, such as generating a LOF for each guide (it sounds like that's
what you plan to do).

HTH!
Richard