Oops! Look ma, no fonts!

J. Paul Kent jopakent at comcast.net
Sat Feb 17 04:29:15 PST 2007

I just noticed that my new PC doesn't have the Zapf Dingbats font I've been
using to show arrows in my documents. These guides use an arrow in the text
to show nested menu selections like "Tools->Language->Set Language." I guess
I'm not committed for life to the arrows, but they've worked nicely to date,
the client seems to like them, and I like them.

I can think of any number of potential work-arounds, but I'll bet someone
has thought of this before.

My first thought was to look at my Microtype Shortcuts document for which
key strokes to use to get a slightly different arrow in a font that IS
installed, but that revealed two new problems. First, I haven't installed
the MicroType (is it a plug-in, I forget) Shortcuts on this new machine.
Second (looking at my old machine that does have it installed), it looks
like the Shortcuts document assumes a "Dingbats" font that also isn't
installed on this new machine.

So, new machine is running XP Media Center Edition, whereas old machine is
running XP Pro. Is this where the font issue stems from?
This machine is new enough that I can get the Vista upgrade for free, and it
has the horsepower to run it well, so I need to take an eventual upgrade
into account when I consider the optimum solution. That is, if I'm going to
be installing new fonts that work on XP and then installing new fonts again
that work on Vista, maybe I should upgrade first (not really ready to do
that yet unless I have to).

Thanks in advance,

J. Paul Kent