Fonts they are a-changing

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Wed Feb 21 17:09:13 PST 2007

I would strongly concur with Guy's advice.

There are dozens upon dozens of fonts available with
the names Helvetica and Helvetica-Neue from different
sources (including Adobe and Linotype) as well as
fonts with those names bundled with the MacOS.

HOWEVER, despite the same names, there differences
between them, whether in the character sets, mappings,
embedding privileges, font metrics, etc.

Unless you standardize on a particular version of
any font and enforce use of that version, you are
being setup for disasters including missing text,
wrong text, relayout, etc., especially when everything
is supposed to come together for PDF file production,
printing, or both.

	- Dov