Third-party or "out of the box" plugins [was "re: Frame's future"]

Marcus Carr mcarr at allette.com.au
Thu Feb 22 14:35:25 PST 2007

Hedley Finger wrote:

> The original discussion was, generally, about what Adobe needed to do
> to find out what functionality their customers would need in the
> future.
>
> I attempted to make the point that a study of the third-party plugins
> would indicate to Adobe the gaps in FrameMaker's functionality that
> they need to address, and chose indexing plugins as an example where
> there are many independent plugins to improve this functionality.

While I agree that plugin usage indicates shortfalls in the current
product, I don't accept that Adobe should take direction from that. Most
of the plugins mentioned have been developed to support hardcopy
publishing, but Adobe know as well as anyone that that market is in
chronic decline. Putting a lot of effort into supporting hardcopy would
be throwing good money after bad.

I like what Adobe has been doing, adding XSLT support and improving
their XML handling. Those are the sorts of changes that will keep it
alive, but they're only first steps. In another ten years, FrameMaker
will probably need to be a web-based application focused on connecting
and incorporating information from multiple sources and maybe making it
look consistent to improve the user's experience. Or something else - I
don't know. Either way, you can be pretty sure that it's not going to be
an application for the lossy process of converting information into
patterns on paper to be posted to someone who will slowly read and
interpret it back into information. (Yeah, I know, PDF, HTML, but that's
mostly just paper-to-pixels.)

We had one of the senior XML people from Microsoft in Redmond presenting
to our developers yesterday - he was showing off things like
round-tripping, incorporation of microformats into Word and generating
Word documents from java, all running in Linux to illustrate how little
dependency there was on Microsoft technology. It was *very* slick.
Nobody can afford to sit back and wait anymore - the bar gets raised too
frequently for anyone to recover.

Go long, Adobe!! Blow our socks off!!

--
Regards,