Third-party or "out of the box" plugins [was "re: Frame's future"]

eric.dunn at ca.transport.bombardier.com eric.dunn at ca.transport.bombardier.com
Fri Feb 23 07:20:40 PST 2007

Marcus Carr <mcarr at allette.com.au> on 02/22/2007 10:46:17 PM:
> For our mechanically gifted friend, I'd be
> inclined to provide a graphic interface and a touch screen that let him
> drill to the warp drive than compel him to hunt and peck on a toughened
> keyboard. An index may have its place, but it's a much smaller home than

> where it used to live.

Now what exactly is the difference between "hunt and peck" and "drill".
And how is a toughened and oil covered touch-screen and more elegant than
a toughened keyboard? It's poor form to use derogatory terminology for one
option we don't support and positive terminology for the one we do. The
statements also unveil a certain snobbery of IT superiority by denigrating
those that work in other fields. Denigrate anything linked to the awful
old hands-on industry and try to enlighten it with beautiful IT derived
terms and symbology.

Graphical interfaces have their advantages. And when applied where they
are the best choice/toll for the application they're great. But a purely
graphical interface is a poor option in terms of efficiency. The mouse has
it's place, but for MANY actions keyboard shortcuts are the best option.
And would you suggest the stupidity of a graphical only interface and
touch-screen with  the abomination of a touch-screen pop-up keyboard for
data and text tasks?

There is no "hunting or pecking" not "drilling" in either a well designed
graphical interface or a well designed index if the thing being searched
for is at the top level (say the engine). But, when searching for
something more arcane down in the bowels, what is faster and more
efficient? A bad paper index and a bad on-line index (or ghastly full-text
search) may both list "hood" or "wrench". But only a good index (hardcopy
or electronic) will quickly redirect you when you search for "bonnet" or
"spanner".

Drop the prejudice against indices as a hardcopy only issue and recognise
that index information is useful metadata, regardless of how it is
ultimately searched and presented.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently. Please note that in order to
protect the security of our information systems an AntiSPAM solution is in
use and will browse through incoming emails.
Thank you.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier/s), transmis par courriel, peut
contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à
l?usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est par
les présentes avisée qu?il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l?avez reçu par inadvertance,
veuillez nous en aviser et détruire ce message. Veuillez prendre note
qu'une solution antipollupostage (AntiSPAM) est utilisée afin d'assurer la
sécurité de nos systems d'information et qu'elle furètera les courriels
entrant.
Merci.