OT: A comment on upgrading and support Was: Frame's future

Diane Gaskill dgcaller at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 25 12:58:00 PST 2007

I've been lurking on this thread but I have a comment that might throw a
monkey wrench into the conversation.

It seems that sometimes people upgrade just to have the latest and
(hopefully) the greatest version of a sw product, car, music system, etc.
This includes Frame, Vista, and whatever.  But if the new version of a
product does not have a feature I need or has fixed a bug that has been
giving me trouble, I do not see the point in upgrading.  Why spend the money
and the time on installing something and take a chance on having more bugs
or incompatibilities on your system?

There's an old saying: "If it aint broke, don't fix it."  FM7.2 and
everything else I use in my job runs just fine on XP.  Believe it or not,
they also run fine on an old NT4 system I have at home (I have an XP system
there too).  I see no point in installing an OS because it's "New and
Improved" but could make my job a lot harder before it gets easier.
Deadlines don't wait for other companies to fix their bugs.

Also, a comment on what Adobe means by "support."  I remember a conversation
just like this a couple of years ago.  It was about the then current version
of FM and whether it would run on XP.  At the time, Adobe said, "We don't
support it."  But on further investitation, Adobe explained that they did
not say it would not run on XP, but that they had not completed their
testing and therefore could not guarantee that it would run or that there
were no bugs.  Therefore, no "official" support.  Sounds like good business
policy to me, and I'd guess the situation is at least similar with FM7.2 and
Vista.

Diane