Third-party or "out of the box" plugins [was "re:

Peter Ring pri at ddf.dk
Sun Feb 25 15:41:10 PST 2007

With a bit of duct-tape, Excel worksheets, and Python scripts, the
future is now. We use 'out-of-band' index entries to produce
back-of-the-book indexes.

The index is authored separately from the body text, using simple Excel
worksheets as the exchange format, and associated to the body text
through section numbers or similar identifiers. A script translates the
index terms and a list of section numbers vs. page numbers into MIF,
from which FrameMaker generates a beautiful index.

The index terms in the Excel worksheet actually correspond to DocBook
indexterms (i.e., easy to repurpose). We tried using FrameMaker's
DocBook application, but the translation to index markers is quite
buggy, so MIF was the easiest way forward.

Well, the point of this is that wrt. the semantic part of it, we rely on
completely general tools and formats, and wrt. integration with
FrameMaker, we rely on MIF and generated lists (to extract section
numbers vs. page numbers). The process is driven by a Makefile. Better
FrameMaker scripting would be welcome, but DZbatcher [1] goes a long way
when you want to drive the process no-hands.

Kind regards
Peter Ring

[1] http://www.datazone.com/dzbatcher2.html