Find / Replace special

Wed Feb 28 08:42:12 PST 2007

Peter Gold wrote:

> Richard's point is excellent!

Thank you.

> I believe that one way to avoid this problem is to create a
> named character format for the purpose, whose properties are
> only those you want to apply. In this example, you'd define
> the "NewBold" format by clicking outside any text, or
> choosing Commands > Set Window To As Is in the character
> designer,  then setting only the Bold attribute.  I haven't
> tested this, but I think that pasting a named character
> format that's copied to the clipboard applies only the
> properties of the named format, not every property of the
> text. A quick test should clarify the behavior.

Unfortunately, no. You can only copy to the clipboard an _instance_ of
the format, not the format as an abstraction.

FM interprets "As Is" quite literally. As soon as you instantiate the
char format by applying it to a text string, the attributes defined as
"As Is" are set to the existing values for that string. So, your Bold +
As Is char format becomes Bold + Palatino, 10 pt, Angle Regular,
Variation Regular, Color Black, etc. If you have FrameScript, you can
verify this by retrieving the property list of a string with a char
format applied.

I wish it weren't so. I'd like all the undefined char properties to
contain pointers to the corresponding pgf properties (or to be
null/empty, and interpreted as pointers to the pgf properties).

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer