Working with Structure [wasP 30% off for the Tree Help plugin]

Oleg A. Paraschenko olpa at bitplant.de
Mon Jan 1 00:18:52 PST 2007

Hello Bernard,

thanks for suggestion to compare the tools. Let me try.

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 09:49:24 -0500
"Bernard Aschwanden" <bernard at publishingsmarter.com> wrote:

> Hi Oleg,
>
> I haven't used Tree Help. How does it compare with the StructureTools
> utility that West Street Consulting has?

StructureTools are more featured. But in _my_ work I need only two
features:

* collapse all, and
* expand to the insertion point.

That's what Tree Help plugin does perfectly.

> If you haven't used both you
> may want to try the West Street tool as well.

Unfortunately, we decided that FrameMaker in our company should follow
the path of QuickSilver (to be abandoned), therefore I don't like spending
time on investigating FM tools.

> It's free for 30 days and
> only $20 to buy. The two URL's of interest may be:
>
> http://www.weststreetconsulting.com
> and
> http://www.weststreetconsulting.com/WSC_StructureTools.htm
>
> Technically, the StructureTools utility will run forever, even if you
> don't buy it. A dialog pops up every now and then to tell you that you
> may want to pay your $20 (a tiny sum when you consider the frustration
> it saves) to the developers.

Near the same for Tree Help. 30 days for free, $29.95 to buy. Actually,
no time limitation, no popups, just an item in menu: "Register Tree Help".

> Looking at the Tree Help plug-in site shows me that it allows you to (1)
> Collapse All, (2) Expand All, and (3) Expand to the Insertion Point.
> StructureTools allows all three of these features.

So, "Expand to the Insertion Point" is also implemented? Then it's the bad
news for Tree Help plugin. I'm not going to provide new features.

Well, I have an idea how to compete with StructureTools. For only $295
I'm ready to sell the source code.

> All the best and happy New Year.

Happy New Year!

--