Translators and Word vs FM

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 4 10:01:33 PST 2007

At 09:37 -0800 4/1/07, Daniel Doornbos wrote:

>I agree with Mathieu that translators in Europe tend to be substantially less expensive. But if you live in the US, it's hard to get them on the phone when you want to discuss an issue. And many want payment in Euros, which, for my accounting department, is a major problem.

We're not translators, but I feel I should stick up for the European end of things:

. Any European company that is interested in working for US clients should be able to quote in US dollars. If they can't or won't, don't work with them. We can, and do.

. If the phone doesn't work for you, use e-mail: it's a useful tool for crossing time zones. If a contractor doesn't respond to e-mail as quickly as you'd like, stop using them.

. The difference in tome-zones can be made to work to your advantage: we come on-stream half a working day before the East seaboard and a whole working day before the West seaboard and we're working away while you're asleep. This constitutes a sort of double-shift system ;-)

Our US clients are happy, and we're happy working for them. The Internet shrinks the world: everyone benefits.

--
Steve Rickaby
WordMongers Ltd		                 http://www.wordmongers.com