About hiring an L10N vendor Was: RE: Translators and Word vs FM

Diane Gaskill dgcaller at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 4 10:44:34 PST 2007

Every once in a while, someone on the list asks about L10N vendors, and
usually a few people graciously recommend the vendor they are using.
Nothing wrong with that, but I'd like to offer a little caveat to anyone
considering hiring a L10N vendor.

While it's all well and good to recommend a specific vendor because they did
a good job for a particular company, that does not necessarily mean that the
particular vendor can do a good job for everyone.  I would encourage anyone
who needs L10N services to screen and hire a localization vendor the same
way you would screen and hire a technical writer.  A good technical writer
can write, but you also need to hire a writer that has technical knowledge
in the product area that your company makes.  For example, would you hire
someone who has lots of experience writing repair manuals for jet engines to
write a software manual for a network management application?

Similarly, the linguists who localize your documents should have technical
knowledge in your company's product area, and it would be helpful if they
have knowledge of how your customers use the products.  Linguists do not
translate word-by-word.  Instead, they translate sentences, paragraphs, and
ideas, and they need to understand something about the source material to do
that.

Most established L10N vendors have a pool of linguists with both language
specialties and technical specalties.  Check with the vendor and make sure
that they have the right combination of linguistic and technical experience
to do the work you need.

Diane