OT : RE: Translators and Word vs FM

Diane Gaskill dgcaller at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 4 21:56:09 PST 2007

Daniel is right.  Most full service companies have offices in many countries and the actual localization work is done there.  There is a good reason for this.  Standard practice is to use a linguist who is a native speaker in the target language and who has near-native fluency in the source language to do the work.  And as discussed earlier, the linguist must also be technical.  Most full service vendors, BTW, test their linguists before hiring them.

However, not all translation is done overseas.  Some vendors have local offices where linguists from other countries come and work.  But the linguists almost always visit their home country on a regular basis so that they don't lose the language and can keep up on anything new.  For example, new words are being invented in the high tech industry on a regular basis.  Widget.  Gizmo.  Thingamabob.  Watchamacallit.  etc.  :-)

BTW, there are several books on L10N out there that that explain all of this and more, including the one I wrote and those by a few of the larger vendors.

Diane