book paginating woes

Laura Larson llarson at echo-inc.com
Mon Jan 8 18:09:28 PST 2007

I have two files in a book that refuse to leave out blank even pages. I
go through and reset the pagination so that both the book and files
match pagination and numbering settings to delete blank pages, and each
time I go to regenerate the TOC, in returns that extra blank page.

I've gone into my master pages and tried to reapply them, I've
reimported new page layouts from files that I know work as they are
supposed to, and I've even copied the text (we're only talking one page
here of an introduction), and the new files takes on the same
troublesome attributes. This is only an 25 page document, but the
chapter files are similar to another book so I'm reluctant to put all
the text into a single file for the sake of consistency.

The only hint of a potential error that I get is that there may be
something on the page about an irregular column layout.

The specific message is that the new column layout seems to overlap
other objects on some body pages, am I sure I want to apply the new
column layout? and the specific page that is supposedly impacted. Even
though I click Yes, nothing changes. I have nothing but text on the
page, there are no residual graphics, nor residual conditional or hidden
text for that matter.

Another error message that I've seen is that there is no mapping in the
reference pages for my master page. However, I would have thought that
if there were an error in that regard that it would have been corrected
when I reimported my new formats from a "good" file.

Could those vague errors be complete misdirection? Any suggestions would
be most heartening.

Thanks!

Laura Larson
Electronic Clearing House, Inc.