Looking for an editable output from Frame 7.2

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Tue Jan 9 08:50:45 PST 2007

At 09:45 PM 1/8/2007, Greg Thompson wrote:
>   My current client wants me to provide them with output from the Frame guide
>   I created for them in a format they can edit, not using Frame. Then they
>   want to be able to re-publish these files (again, not using Frame) and have
>   them look the same way they looked when I created them in Frame.

>   I know I can save Frame files as html, xml, text, or rtf and edit them. But
>   I doubt that I can republish them and have them look like they did in Frame
>   without using Frame

Greg,
   The primary goals of XML include software-independence and the type of
interchange you describe. Setting up a structured FrameMaker environment
and corresponding XML application is rarely a trivial process, but it will
allow your client to edit the document in another XML editor (or with a
text editor). You'll then be able to open the edited XML version in
FrameMaker and it will be automatically formatted.
   While you can save unstructured documents to XML, it is unlikely that
you will have the same success getting the results back into FM.
         --Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284