Looking for an editable output from Frame 7.2

Marcus Carr mcarr at allette.com.au
Thu Jan 11 14:50:38 PST 2007

Greg Thompson wrote:

> My current client wants me to provide them with output from the Frame
> guide I created for them in a format they can edit, not using Frame.
> Then they want to be able to re-publish these files (again, not using
> Frame) and have them look the same way they looked when I created
> them in Frame.

So they have specified which application they don't wish to use, but not
which one they will use? Under those circumstances, you'd be justified
in delivering the data as XML and leaving it to them to sort out how to
format it. Data interchange between applications is a fundamental
feature of XML - in fact "XML shall support a wide variety of
applications" is design goal number 2 in the W3C recommendation (the W3C
equivalent of a standard).

> I know I can save Frame files as html, xml, text, or rtf and edit them. But
> I doubt that I can republish them and have them look like they did in Frame
> without using Frame.

Need you concern yourself with that? Surely if they haven't gone to the
trouble of specifying what application they intend to use, they can't
hold you responsible for supporting it? Give them XML and let them worry
about reproducing the layout. They'll be back once they've had a lie
down and a good think about it...

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mcarr at allette.com.au