PDF to framemaker

Syed Zaeem Hosain Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Thu Jan 11 15:12:31 PST 2007

Kenneth C. Benson wrote:
> PDF is mostly a one-way street. It's an end product. The text in a PDF is
> set line by line and page by page. Any method of converting PDF back to
> formatted text and graphics is going to involve a good deal of work and
> judgment. PDFs are complex enough and generated from enough different source
> applications that I can't imagine a tool that could do this for you with any
> degree of reliability.

What I use, when forced to, is convert the PDF back to MS Word
(using PDF Converter Professional from Nuance) and then output
it in RTF and back into FrameMaker.

This is not perfect, since it needs cleanup after the final import
into FrameMaker, but it does the trick on the rare occasions when
the need arises. With surprisingly clean results, and much less
time than re-entering all the typing again.

But, I would not want to "automate" this process - the results would
be terrible without the final edits in FrameMaker after the RTF is
brought in. In other words, it is not something that allows me to "go
back and forth" on a daily basis!