XML and FrameMaker

mark.poston at mekon.com mark.poston at mekon.com
Wed Jan 17 08:25:30 PST 2007

Pedro,

In general, the EDD contains both the document definition AND its relationship to the formatting.

I do not see this as being a problem as you suggest it is and have been happily developing EDDs for over 10 years.

To create an EDD, the DTD is imported into FrameMaker. The read/write rules will be used to rename or drop elements as required. If you need to update your DTD, you can then re-import into the existing EDD.

There are two main ways in which formatting can be added to an EDD; either by putting the formatting directly into the EDD; or by referencing styles in the template. A combination of both is most likely to be used in order to fully benefit from the EDD's context rules.

Using the template approach would allow you to separate most formatting from the EDD ... the template therefore being your stylesheet. You would then be able to change your template with a need to edit the EDD each time.

As Allen points out, this is all documented in the Developer's Guide and will answer your questions in a lot more detail.

Regards
Mark Poston
Mekon Ltd.