Updating chapter numbers

Robert.Werner at appsense.com Robert.Werner at appsense.com
Thu Jan 18 06:20:53 PST 2007

Thanks Shlomo,

Exactly as I understood it based on the Frame training sessions with you
a number of years ago. Was a bit rusty and wanted to be sure.

I am currently using $chapnum for chapter paragraphs but now want to
include Appendix styles.

I added paragraph styles to my Frame template for Appendix (number) and
Appendix Title

However, the resulting output in the Toc is as follows:

Chapter n    Chapter  Title
Chapter n    Chapter  Title
Appendix A   Appendix Title
Appendix B   Appendix Title

My colleague informs me that the convention according to the Harts Rules
for Writers is for a top level heading Appendixes and lower level
numbered appendix titles:

Chapter n    Title
Chapter n    Title
Appendixes   Appendix A Title
		 Appendix B Title

To resolve this I have numbered my styles as follows:
Appendix     x:Appendixes
AppendixTitle x:Appendix <$chapnum>

"Appendix" must be the first paragraph in the first Appendix file.
Thereafter it is not used in subsequent Appendix files, only
"AppendixTitle".

This is a bit klunky bit it gets the desired result in the TOC output.

Is there a more elegant way to get the results I am after that my tiny
mind can't think of?

Thanks in advance

Rob