Any ideas

Thu Jan 18 11:28:05 PST 2007

Kevin Rusnak wrote:

> Currently, I am in charge of manuals that are written by
> several different people. The process of editing these
> manuals is that the FrameMaker books and files are created in
> the PDF. The person then makes their edits that they want
> made through Comments in the PDF. This PDF is then given to
> me and I make the changes in FrameMaker as need be.

I'm confused -- are you talking about _authoring_ or about _SME
review/feedback_? (I assume you don't mean the books are "created in the
PDF," but "converted to PDF.")

IMHO, authoring -- writing any significant amount of new content -- in a
PDF, even as comments, is insane, and I find it difficult to believe
such a workflow could be effectively used. But commenting in PDFs is a
fine way for SMEs to provide feedback to the author (tech writer).

OTOH, letting various and sundry reviewers/SMEs muck around in the FM
source files is also insane. :-)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs