Substituting a check box for a bullet in FrameMaker

Thu Jan 18 14:19:51 PST 2007

Art Campbell wrote:

> Richard,
> It's possible to select different parts of the autonumber
> string and apply a character format to 'em so you can affect
> format changes within the string.

Not in FM 6 or 7. Is this one of the big enhancements in 7.2? It didn't
make Adobe's "key new features" list. :-)

> For instance, by painting part of the "checkbox" string, you
> can invoke Zapf (or whatever) and then change fonts so
> whatever comes after that uses a standard text font. Hence,
> you can "paint the o"
> with a character format.

I created a pgf and opened Paragraph Designer. On the Numbering tab, I
typed "test format" into the Autonumber Format box and clicked Apply.
Those words appeared at the start of my pgf in the pgf's default font.

In the Autonumber Format box, I selected the word "test" only. Then,
under Character Format, I selected Emphasis, and then I clicked Apply
again. The entire autonumber string ("test format") became italic. So, I
selected the word "format" only, selected Default P Font, and clicked
Apply again. The entire string returned to regular (Roman).

In every FM version I've used, from 4 to 7, a char format can only be
applied to the entire autonumber string.

In any case, there's simply no need to revert to the standard text font
-- the pgf itself, after the autonumber, is never affected by autonumber
char formatting.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs