FrameMaker and read-only files

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 22 10:05:13 PST 2007

FrameMaker's "Network File Locking" feature is very rudimentary.
All it does is check for the presence of a "lock" file with the same
name as the document but a secondary .lck extension in the same
directory as the document. If it finds a .lck file it displays a dialog
that tells you the file is locked; if there is no .lck file it opens the
document without a message and creates a .lck file so that anyone
else trying to open that file will see a "locked" message.

Bust since a CM or VM system makes a working copy of a file on
your local hard disk when you check it out, the .lck file mechanism
would only work if the CMS is "smart" enough to create a .lck file
on your local drive if and only if the file is locked in the repository.

My opinions only; I don;t speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ