Importing Word fields and bookmarks to FM

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 05:35:19 PST 2007

David,
I haven't attempted to import such a complex document myself, so I'm
not sure what is possible and what isn't on an item-by-item basis. I
am surprised that the cross-refs, index markers, and similar "common"
tools aren't imported; less so that text insets and so on aren't.
What method are you using? FM's Word import, or RTF filter, Japanese
RTF, or something else?
Have you explored the third party filters yet? Blueberry Filtrix and others?

Art

On 1/25/07, David Shaked (Wernick) <david at almondweb.com> wrote:
> Background: We are Word experts but inexperienced in FrameMaker. We are
> importing a large set of Word 2003 documents to FM 7.2.
>
> In our experiments so far, the following Word features seem to be lost in
> the import process. How can we preserve them, without needing to recreate
> them laboriously in FM?
>
> 1. Cross references (REF and HYPERLINK fields, along with the bookmarks that
> the references point to).
>
> 2. Index entries (XE fields).
>
> 3. Included text and graphics (INCLUDETEXT fields, which point to bookmarked
> text and graphics that are stored in another document).
>
> 4. WebWorks conditional text (PRIVATE WWMTS and PRIVATE WWMTE fields).
>
> If there is no simple GUI solution, an automated solution that requires
> programming (VBA and/or FrameScript) is definitely within reason.
>

> NOTE: I'm new to the Framer's list. I searched the archives for the above
> questions but didn't find much. If the subject is in the archives, I will be
> grateful if someone will point me to the appropriate thread.
>
> Thanks very much for your help.
>

> David Shaked (Wernick)
>
> AlmondWeb Ltd.
> http://www.almondweb.com
> Technical Documentation * Web Development * Word and WebWorks Consultants

                             No disclaimers apply.
                                     DoD 358