High quality images

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Fri Jan 26 10:28:17 PST 2007

Clara Hall wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> We have recently adopted a procedure to yield the highest quality images
> which includes the following steps:
>
> 1.	Alt-PrintScrn the image into Photoshop
> 2.	Save the image as a "Photoshop EPS".  Make sure "Image
> Interpolation" is set.
>
> This sets a image dictionary key that Adobe PostScript Level 2, Adobe
> PostScript 3, Acrobat, and Acrobat Reader use to do very high
>
> quality image interpolation and/or downsampling appropriate to the
> device's actual resolution and technology at the time the image is
> viewed or printed. (Distiller passes this key along from PostScript or
> EPS in a PostScript stream into the equivalent PDF image key!)
>
> 3.	Import the resultant EPS file into FM.
>

> This procedure is a bit time consuming and I was wondering if anyone has
> another way, or knows of a script which might be able to do a comparable
> task.

The procedure you describe is advocated by Dov Isaacs of Adobe, and his
instructions also include selecting Binary encoding and TIFF 8-bit
preview. I don't know if the current version of Snag-It, suggested by
Art, includes those options.  In my somewhat geriatric version of
Snag-It, the only setting for EPS is colour-depth.

But I'm not sure there's a great deal of benefit if you're starting out
with screenshots, which are low-res to begin with. Photos and other
types of graphics may benefit more from the treatment you describe.

(If you're monitoring this thread, Dov, can you comment?)

As far as scripting your current process goes, you can automate at least
part of it by using the built-in macro-recording feature in Photoshop
(Window > Actions) to open a new RGB window, paste, flatten, save as in
folder... etc.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"Developers explain How the Product Works.
Technical writers explain How to Work the Product."

Get Firefox!
http://tinyurl.com/8q9c5