Looking for books on Frame template design

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 29 05:39:04 PST 2007

At 20:21 -0800 28/1/07, Greg Thompson wrote:

>  I have decided to take the plunge into learning template design using Frame.
>  Any suggestions on books/tutorials to get out of the land advanced
>  intermediate/user I have been stuck in for sometime? :)

It rather depends on what you mean by 'template design'. This has [very broadly] two aspects:

. The mechanistic material to do with using FrameMaker to create page and book designs

. The artistic side of good typographical design

For the former, I know of no more comprehensive book than 'FrameMaker 7, the Complete Reference', by Sarah O'Keefe and Sheila Loring. This has now been republished as 'Publishing Fundamentals: FrameMaker 7':

<http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Typographic-Style-Robert-Bringhurst/dp/0881792063/sr=1-1/qid=1170077923/ref=sr_1_1/104-8255701-7763916?ie=UTF8&s=books>

For the artistic bit, there are probably zillions of books on good typographical design. I do not own it, as it was out of print when I wanted it, but 'Elements of Typographic Style' by Robert Bringhurst is highly spoken of:

<http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0881792055/qid=1138270535/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-0443455-9144419>

To paraphrase Artur Schnabel: 'The text I handle no better than many typesetters. But the spaces between the text - ah, that is where the art resides.' ;-)

--
Steve