High quality images

Bill Briggs web at nbnet.nb.ca
Mon Jan 29 15:32:24 PST 2007

At 2:50 PM -0800 1/29/07, Dov Isaacs wrote:
>Any LZW or ZIP
>compression in a screen shot (or any other image)
>imported into FrameMaker is absolutely lost when
>FrameMaker sends the image data to the PostScript driver!

 Which means, when translated, that FrameMaker unpacks the compressed image when it opens the file (and LZW compression is lossless), and what it sends to the printer is the TIFF image as it is uncompressed.

 I've been using LZW compressed TIFFs in FrameMaker for 13 years and have NEVER had any problem printing them to any printer or to PDF.

 When you open a FrameMaker document with an LZW compressed TIFF you will only notice one difference. When you page through the document and come to a page that has a large compressed TIFF image you may see a slight delay as FrameMaker unpacks it and the image writes line by line to the display. Apart from that you shouldn't see any difference.

 - web