Numbering problem

karyn hunt karyn_hunt at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 17 16:40:02 PDT 2007

On FrameMaker 7.2 (version 7.2b144) with Windows XP.

Trying to set page numbering properties, but the number format keeps changing from numeric to roman.

Here’s what I do:

1. Go through all individual files in my book and separately – at the file level – set the introductory files to roman, but the chapter files to tab = Page, Format = Numeric, radio button = Continue Numbering from Previous Page in Book. Except the first, file, of course, which starts at page #1.
2. At the book level, repeat those steps.
3. Generate the book.
4. All numbering comes out Roman - on all chapters - instead of roman on introductory sections and numeric on chapters.
5. Get pissed off and try 10 more times with same result.
6. On a lark, decide to leave each file as Format = Numeric and First Page # : at the default, which is page 3 because that allows me to leave the radio button on that top line selected (and the numbering format field shares that line and that radio dial button).
7. Regenerate book and the pages have numeric numerals, but all files begin at page 3.

Obviously, it’s not okay to have roman numerals throughout the book. But it’s also not okay to have all chapters begin at page 3.

The “Continue Numbering from Previous Page in Book” feature should *not* be coupled with the “First Page #:” and “Format” features because they are separate radio buttons. In addition, format should not be completely coupled with "First Page #:" In the past, I’ve been able to select numeric AND “Continue Numbering…” (in other words, decouple them.

I’ve been doing numbering in FrameMaker for years and have never encountered this problem. None of my other books do this and I've set numbering in three of them today.

Can anybody tell me what’s going on and how I can fix it?

Karyn

Karyn Hunt
Merced Systems, Inc.
333 Twin Dolphin Drive,  Suite 500