deleting backup files

Diane Gaskill dgcaller at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 24 01:48:18 PDT 2007

Ben,

Why do you need a VB script?  A simple batch file works fine.

Run a DOS window from the directory you want to clean up and then run the
following batch file. Copy the text to Notepad and save it as cleanfm.bat or
whatever you want to call it. Save it to a directory in the path or add the
directory to the path.  I assume you know about paths.

BTW, I've been using this .bat for at least 14 years and a general purpose
one like it for 20 years.  Never had either of them delete anything they
weren't supposed to.

@echo off
echo.
echo   Deleting the following files from the current directory:
dir *.backup.* *.lck
echo.
del *.backup.* *.lck

You can also add *recover*.* to the list to delete recovery files after you
save them to the original file names.

If you have a tree of directories with archived files in them, I have a neat
little utility called sweep.com that executes a .bat or an .exe in all of
the directories in the tree.  Free.
Hope this helps,

Diane Gaskill