Converted Word file grows enormously

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Thu Jul 26 13:02:35 PDT 2007

Another thought. Is there Word art used anywhere, or any graphics
that have been drawn within Word? These use proprietary compression
algorithms, which may be decompressed to illustrate their true size.

Or, are there special characters (say, embedded math) that are being
converted graphics?

Or, are there embedded compressed file formats that are being
decompressed and converted into something else?

Art's suggestion of removing the images and importing RTF is how I'd
do it too. The only issue is that it is very difficult extracting
vector graphics from Word without converting them to bitmap. But
then, could this be what is going on?

Alan