Pantone bug?

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 27 10:17:03 PDT 2007

At 12:58 -0400 27/7/07, Kenneth C. Benson wrote:

>It doesn't here. I just made a new color from the Pantone Uncoated library, typed in 164, and got a nice red PANTONE 164 CVU. I chose Print as Spot and changed the CMYK color definition to make 50,100,0,0 purple. Then I formatted some text in PANTONE 164 CVU and printed the page to seps. I chose to print the 164 plate only, and the text printed black. Then I went back and printed composite, and the text printed purple.

OK, here's what I do, starting with a blank document:

. Bring up View -> Color Definitions...

. Select Pantone Uncoated library

. Select Pantone 164 CVU

. I now see Ink name:  Pantone 164 CVU, Print as spot, and M:47, Y:76

. Edit the color to C:50, M:100, rest 0

. I now see Ink name: None, print as spot
                      ----

I.e. FrameMaker has, quite properly, dropped the ink name, because I've change its spec.

. Format a body para with the synthetic 'Pantone', print to Ps, distill

. Preflight: plates = 5, C M Y K, Pantone 164.

However, the PDF *does* seem to specify the Pantone plate correctly, so maybe I'm worrying unnecessarily. The presence of the C M and Y plates in a PDF with one word in Pantone is something I've hit before, but I can't for the moment remeber the fix.

>I'm on Windows here, so maybe it's different on Mac. Are you sure you're choosing "Print as Spot"?

Yup.

--
Steve