Vertical spacing inconsistencies

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 28 02:45:36 PDT 2007

Hi Peter

At 17:33 -0500 27/7/07, Peter Gold wrote:

>The Friday thing also struck me, it seems. I never got around to
>suggesting what to ACTUALLY DO at the end of my long analytic look at
>what possible combined workings of idiosyncratic font height
>calculation, line height settings there might be to consider. Just ran
>out of gas.

Yeah, right, it gets me like that too.

>I think I intended to say something like, "so, take a look
>at these things, good luck, and Cheerio!"<G>

Ok.

>Your solution to do an internal-organ transplant to a new corpus is a
>good approach, especially because it works. The WHY and HOW aspects of
>the problem's appearing could return little useful information, unless
>it's quick and easy to perform a few steps that can recreate the
>problems.

Um, yeah, you're probably right. Unfortunately, doing the organ transplant means that I'll have to copy/realign all the delicate precision page decorations like reverse-out folios, but it's do-able.

But I need to UNDERSTAND! ;-)

One thing I forgot to mention is that the source arrived as a single-sided document, all pages identical. I set it to double-sided and created the missing master page by copying the contents of the existing one to the new one [left -> right or the other way around, I forget]. That might be a factor.

Ah, no, I remember... it isn't, because the originals, all one-sided, different font, show the same bug. Scratch that.

>If you try the MIF "wash" technique (save to MIF, open the MIF, save
>to FM) and that fixes the problem, the assumption is that there was
>corruption that came out in the wash.

Good idea: now tried, and mif-washing didn't have an effect on the problem. Rats.

>While transplanting to a new file steps nicely away from the annoying settings, it's not informative about the cause.

Quite so.

>Try this:
>
>Create a circle in FM, copy it. Create text on one side that says
>"Meet Deadline, Go Home Happy and Have a Beer to Celebrate." On the
>other side, create text that says "Drink Lots of Beers While Searching
>all Possible Causes of Problem, be Happy as You Wave 'Bye-bye to the
>Passing Deadline, Go Home Mellow, Avoid Despondence Over Missed
>Deadline." Print to heavy stock. Cut out the circles. Glue
>back-to-back. Flip in the air. Observe the text on visible side. If
>you don't like it, try best two out of three flips, or, maybe three
>out of five, or.....!

The part of this solution that I like is the beer involvement factor.

I will return to this on Monday. Or possible Tuesday. Thanks for your thoughts.

--
Steve