[framemaker-dita] Frame book printed to PDF - hyperlinks missing

Alan Houser arh at groupwellesley.com
Tue Jun 12 12:16:46 PDT 2007

Are you publishing to PDF using FrameMaker or the DITA Open Toolkit? If
you are publishing in FrameMaker, I would suggest using the <fm-xref>
element instead of <xref>. The <fm-xref> element is a true FrameMaker
cross-reference element (providing the ability to use cross-reference
formats) and will convert to "live" hyperlinks in FrameMaker-generated
PDF output.

The <xref> element is defined as a FrameMaker container element. This
allows the author to insert the link text (rather inefficient, IMHO, but
also common in several standard XML content models, including DITA and
Docbook).

The FrameMaker DITA plug-in automatically converts <fm-xref> elements to
<xref> elements upon saving to XML, so that the XML does conform to the
DITA standard.

Another "gotcha" -- FrameMaker will only support cross-reference targets
that have an "id" attribute of type "ID". Many DITA elements have an
"id" attribute of type "CDATA".

If you are generating PDF using the DITA Open Toolkit, something else is
going on.

-Alan

--
Alan Houser, President