Help decoding Running H/F variables with attibutes

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Thu Jun 14 14:48:01 PDT 2007

Rick,
   Mark is correct. When you update a book, FM stores in each book
component structure information that can impact the applicability of
context and level rules within the book component. Thus, a rule can test
the ancestors (or level) of elements in the book, as well as their adjacent
siblings and attribute values.
   If your document was ever part of a book, or was copied from a book
component, the file will contain information inherited from a book. As long
as the file is part of a book, you can update this information by updating
the book. You can also clear this inherited information by checking the box
to remove information inherited from a book in the Import Element
Definitions dialog box.
         --Lynne

At 11:13 AM 5/26/2007, Rick Quatro wrote:
>Hi Dan,
>
>Thanks for your reply. I got the message below rom Mark O'Connor offlist.
>The book information is stored in each file, which is nice because the
>attribute values carry over, even if you don't have the book. You have to
>save the document as MIF and fish out the information, but at least it's
>there. As far as I can tell, you can't get the information directly from
>the document with FrameScript or the FDK.
>
>Rick Quatro
>Carmen Publishing
>585-659-8267
>www.frameexpert.com
>
>----- Original Message ----- From: "O'CONNOR Mark"
><Mark.Oconnor at alcatel-lucent.com>

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284