Change bars in Framemaker

David Bills dmbills at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jun 15 15:16:06 PDT 2007

Hi Becky,

If you're going to use automatic change bars, it's important to understand
what is marked as a change when this command is activated. For example,
updated cross-references are marked as a change; updated graphics that are
imported by reference are not marked as a change; updated graphics that are
imported with a different file name are marked as a change; etc.

If you're experiencing undesirable results, mark the changes manually. It
takes a little longer, but the peace of mind is worth it.

Also, the compare document feature mentioned in a previous e-mail doesn't do
a good job identifying changes in tables or graphics. It also introduces
conditional text to the document, which adds a layer of complexity to the
document. It's a useful tool, but probably not the best solution for your
situation.

Good luck,

Dave Bills