Frame crashes when creating PDF --- SOLVED (I think/hope)

Yves Barbion yves.barbion at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 00:40:09 PDT 2007

Hi Framers,

I think/hope I resolved the problem of Frame crashing when creating a
PDF. This is what I did:

   1. Clean up my Windows/Fonts folder: it had 980 fonts before (220
      MB), now reduced to 413 fonts (75 MB). It had the most exotic
      fonts like "Baby Kruffy", no idea where they come from. I guess
      they came along with some installed programs, which is a nuisance.
   2. Delete c:\windows\system32\fntcache.dat (which was 2.2 MB)
   3. Reboot: fntcache is now 650 KB.
   4. Frame 7.2: Print to Adobe PDF -> everything OK.
   5. Shut down Windows and restart.
   6. Frame 7.2: Print to Adobe PDF or Save as PDF -> everything OK. And
      Save as PDF goes incredibly fast now.

Moral of the story: keep the Windows/Fonts folder clean!

Yves Barbion
Documentation Architect
Adobe-Certified FrameMaker Instructor

Scripto bvba