Graphics that are too large

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Jun 19 07:30:13 PDT 2007

Judie Vegh wrote:
> Doug and Art,
>
> Thanks so much for your responses, I will try these methods out and see
> what works best for my situation.
>
> As a follow up to this, would it be possible if I wanted text to expand
> across both columns at the bottom of the page? Say, instead of adding in
> a graphic to explain my steps, I'd like to add in a text box with some
> information relevant to the text/steps that are in the two columns?
> Would that then require a different master page?

Judie,

Stay away from trying to format individual pages by inventing new master
pages; instead, use the pagination tools available in the Designers and
the options for anchored frames.

Sounds like you want to have your page look like the ones you've made
that have 2-col text at the top and a wide graphic spanning both columns
at the bottom.  You've done that by inserting an anchored frame and
putting a graphic in it.  But for your new purpose, don't put a graphic
in the anchored frame.  Draw a text box inside it instead and then type
and format your explanatory text.

Alternative methods would be to create a pgf tag set to Span All Columns
and apply that to your "sidebar" text at the bottom of the page, or
create a table (one or many rows/columns, borders or not, to suit) that
spans all columns.

A table or a spanning pgf tag pretty  much limits you to positioning
just after the 2-col body text unless you fuss with settings manually.
If you want all these graphics and sidebar texts to be flush with the
bottom of the page, an anchored frame can be set to Bottom of Column and
will stay there even if your 2-column text is shortened.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"Developers explain How the Product Works.
Technical writers explain How to Work the Product."