Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson bodvar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 16:56:16 PDT 2007

I am about to undertake the task of preparing special issue NT plus
based on a new translation (Icelandic) of the Bible that is ready to
be printed. I will only be getting the files in PDF (hopefully no
ligatures) as the last changes were made at the layout company, in
Denmark, I think. Maybe I will be able to get them in HTML as the
local publishing company is backward engineering the the files from
PDF. Not that I did not tell them about XML or FrameMaker. I did so
two years ago.

Anyway, I think this project is a typical structured thing, and as I
have very little time (in my time off), I wonder whether someone has,
or knows of, a suitable EDD for such a task. I think I have seen a
Bible DTD for XML, but not an EDD. There are XML Schemas and several
special markup languages for this too (USFM, USFX, OSIS, etc.),
because of the limitations of DTD (and EDD). However, I think this
could be done, especially if quotation marks are just typed and not
relying on an element or an attribute (maybe attributes may be used
for opening and closing quotes, etc.).

Am I over my head in this?

Please respond on or off the list.

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson