Acrobat 8/8.1 Dropping Text in PDF

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 07:57:22 PDT 2007

David,

This comes up often enough that it should be a FAQ; there are reams of
information in the archives here and in the Adobe FM User Forum (where
there's a full discussion; I think Adobe may have issued a tech note).

Near as anyone can figure, one known problem is a combination of
Windows and Frame font handling. Try this:

Find the C:\WINDOWS\system32\FNTCACHE.DAT file and note its size. Then
delete it. Reboot the system; the font cache will be rebuilt. Don't
open other applications, especially browsers that may hit the font
cache. Print the file to PDF.

If that clears the problem, you may want to look at reducing the
number of fonts on your system, especially the CJK fonts. By most
reports, if the FNTCACHE.DAT file tops 2,000, the bug surfaces. The
fix will work for a while, but will need to be repeated unless you can
remove enough fonts to get below whatever your system's threshold is.

Art

On 6/21/07, David Spreadbury <dspreadb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> We are running into a similar problem since upgrading to Acrobat 8 from Acrobat 7.
>
>   We purchased the CS3 set, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat.
>
>   When we create a Postscript file from FrameMaker 7.2p158, the PDF has random missing text. Sometimes complete pages, othertimes maybe a few words in a sentence.
>
>   Of four systems, three are experiencing this problem.
>
>   We have completely removed Acrobat from these machines and reinstalled. I say completely because we let Windows delete the Acrobat instance through Control Panel, then manually removed all instances of Acrobat 8 from C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat.
>
>   Then reinstalled Acrobat from the CS3 DVD. Problem remains.
>   One user when so far as to install Acrobat 7, instead of Acrobat 8, problem still exists.
>
>   I have deleted the AdobePDF prineter instance and manually created it. Problem still exists.
>
>   One thing we are seeing is that the postscript file size is considerably larger when the PDF fails.
>
>   4,285 is a good PDF
>   4,940 is a corrupted PDF.
>
>   Any have any ideas???
>
>   Please respond directly as I am on Digest.

                             No disclaimers apply.
                                     DoD 358